New Orleans officials confirm city was attacked by ransomware

3 min read Original article ↗

Officials with the City of New Orleans confirmed that it was attacked Friday by ransomware. New Orleans city government employees were instructed to turn off and unplug their computers after the cyberattack, according to city officials. The city is still trying to figure out how the attack got into the system, but did confirm that no information was compromised. According to Mayor LaToya Cantrell, officials noticed suspicious activity around 5 a.m. The attack was confirmed at 11 a.m.The city said employees began receiving phishing emails, and that no employees responded to the malicious attempts. Cantrell said she brought in federal and state investigators to look into the attack. The city does not have an official timetable for services to return. Gov. John Bel Edwards issued a statement regarding the cyberattack, announcing that after last month's cyberattack on state systems that it would include New Orleans recent ransomware attack in the state of emergency: "We have received Mayor Cantrell’s request for an emergency declaration related to the cybersecurity incident in the City of New Orleans. On November 22, 2019, the Governor declared a state of emergency in relation to cyberattacks affecting state of Louisiana servers that currently allows the state to assist the City of New Orleans. The Governor will extend this state of emergency before it expires on Tuesday, December 17, 2019, as the state of Louisiana is still responding to the previous cyberattack of state servers and to assist the City of New Orleans with this new incident."

NEW ORLEANS —

Officials with the City of New Orleans confirmed that it was attacked Friday by ransomware.

New Orleans city government employees were instructed to turn off and unplug their computers after the cyberattack, according to city officials.

The city is still trying to figure out how the attack got into the system, but did confirm that no information was compromised.

According to Mayor LaToya Cantrell, officials noticed suspicious activity around 5 a.m. The attack was confirmed at 11 a.m.

This content is imported from Twitter. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.

This content is imported from Twitter. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.

This content is imported from Twitter. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.

The city said employees began receiving phishing emails, and that no employees responded to the malicious attempts.

Cantrell said she brought in federal and state investigators to look into the attack.

The city does not have an official timetable for services to return.

Gov. John Bel Edwards issued a statement regarding the cyberattack, announcing that after last month's cyberattack on state systems that it would include New Orleans recent ransomware attack in the state of emergency:

"We have received Mayor Cantrell’s request for an emergency declaration related to the cybersecurity incident in the City of New Orleans. On November 22, 2019, the Governor declared a state of emergency in relation to cyberattacks affecting state of Louisiana servers that currently allows the state to assist the City of New Orleans. The Governor will extend this state of emergency before it expires on Tuesday, December 17, 2019, as the state of Louisiana is still responding to the previous cyberattack of state servers and to assist the City of New Orleans with this new incident."